Saturday, October 9, 2010

Lectio Divina

Lectio Divina is the Latin word for "Divine Reading". Its an approach to read a passage in the Bible by doing lectio (reading slowly and attentively), meditatio (reflecting on something that catches my attention and relates to my life), oratio (responding to God by opening my heart to this issue) and contemplatio (become still before God and listen to hear God talk to me).

We did Psalm 23 this morning. "I will let you lie down in green pastures" (picturing myself on my back on a very green pastures, quietness, clean air, blue sky), "I will guide you past quiet waters" (seeing Jesus a few steps ahead of me, beckoning me to follow and pointing to the calmness of the water next to me, gentle rush of water, a sense of peace), "He restores my soul" (wow! restoration by God is perfect, peace again). I am struck by the general trend of the whole psalm - its a scene of adversity: enemies and valley of death, trouble. I respond by recognizing that this is a love letter from God. In the midst of our most horrible circumstances, He brings peace and comfort. Thank you Jesus for your love.

God answers me: "Yes I love you. But since you are not hearing me clearly through all the clouds of doubt and blurriness of your heart, here is your message". And then I see a window pane. Its fogged up from cold and rain and I can barely see through it. God writes in it "I love you" - pause, then continues writing - "<my name>".

No comments:

Post a Comment